Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bad Parenting Advice

Ever since Bug was born....well, actually...BEFORE Bug was born, so many people give me advice. Some of it's good, some bad, but most is unwanted and un-needed. The most common thing I have heard is "Let Your baby cry it out". I have never been able to as it breaks my heart when she really cries. I just can't let her cry; can't and won't! But I looked up an expert's advice. (For the full article and more info click on title of the article.)

The cry is not just a sound; it's a signal – designed for the survival of the baby and development of the parents. By not responding to the cry, babies and parents lose. Here's why. In the early months of life, babies cannot verbalize their needs. To fill in the gap until the child is able to "speak our language," babies have a unique language called "crying." Baby senses a need, such as hunger for food or the need to be comforted when upset, and this need triggers a sound we call a cry. Baby does not ponder in his little mind, "It's 3:00 a.m. and I think I'll wake up mommy for a little snack." No! That faulty reasoning is placing an adult interpretation on a tiny infant. Also, babies do not have the mental acuity to figure out why a parent would respond to their cries at three in the afternoon, but not at three in the morning. The newborn who cries is saying: "I need something; something is not right here. Please make it right."

The cry is a marvelous design. Consider what might happen if the infant didn't cry. He's hungry, but doesn't awaken ("He sleeps through the night," brags the parent of a sleep-trained baby). He hurts, but doesn't let anyone know. The result of this lack of communication is known, ultimately, as "failure to thrive." "Thriving" means not only getting bigger, but growing to your full potential emotionally, physically, and intellectually.

"Out" What actually goes "out" of a baby, parents, and the relationship when a baby is left to cry-it-out? Since the cry is a baby's language, a communication tool, a baby has two choices if no one listens. Either he can cry louder, harder, and produce a more disturbing signal or he can clam up and become a "good baby" (meaning "quiet"). If no one listens, he will become a very discouraged baby. He'll learn the one thing you don't want him to: that he can't communicate.

1 comment:

  1. That is kind of a tricky question because sometimes our baby will wake up in the night for only about 5 minutes. but he will wake up screaming so I would jump out of bed run down the stairs and by the time I got there he was back asleep, so now I do give him a minute to "cry it out", but I agree that you shouldnt just ignore them when they are screaming! but a happy baby makes happy parents!

    ReplyDelete